With a sense of creative abandon, renowned mixed-media artist Beryl Taylor shows you how surprisingly easy and fun it can be to turn fabric, paper, stitch, and embellishment into unique pieces of artwork. Using her own art as examples, Beryl gives step-by-step instructions for making projects like mixed-media artist trading cards, fiber postcards, wall hangings, and books, using the latest mixed-media products and techniques, all the while encouraging readers to follow their own instincts and experiment.
In "Creative Explorations" you'll learn how to:
- Apply basic design principles like layering, highlighting motifs, and creating grids to give your art depth and meaning
- Use five simple embroidery stitches in creative ways to add interest and texture
- Turn favorite papers into fabrics that can then be stitched or quilted
- "Age" your art by etching, burning, and tearing
- Create richness with metallic threads, paint, rubber stamps, and stencils
- "Embed" fibers and found objects
- Use everyday items like brown grocery bags, wallpaper scraps, and bleach to create texture
- Stitch through metal
Most of all, you'll be inspired to follow your heart and explore your own creative talents.